A warriors Battle

Friday, August 19, 2011

Situation Report #12

 Dad has just finished his second round of Chemo today.  Should I be capitalizing that?  Gives it a life of it's own, let's go with chemo.  Mom caught dad spelling it Kimo on his calendar.  Right, well at least the planktons are up over 400,000!  I am seeing a water theme here.  Planktons are swimming and Kimo is riding da' waves island style. 

KIMO!  Try chance'um bra!!

 He gets the BIG SHOT tomorrow.  When I asked the name of it  "I donno, it's BIG".  After three days in the hospital with Kimo, they don't want to put a port in dad so they do a drip, dad gets the shot on the fourth day which is tomorrow.  The shot will trick his body into thinking it should make more white blood cells right away.  Last time the shot landed dad on his arse.  So, for the next 2 weeks we expect low immunity and some pain.  No nausea just yet but we are talking about a guy that ate roaches in Nam.  Kimo meet my buddy Agent Orange. 

Dad ordered a custom cowboy hat months ago, before he knew of his diagnosis.  It came in the same day a clump of hair fell out. 
My brother told my dad:   
         "Your hair needs to tell cancer I'm not fired, I quit."  
So, mom shaved dads head and he looks pretty darn good in his new cowboy hat. 
"My Wanna Be Hat" - Wanna be at the cabin!
Other available looks are also ones I grew up with:
  


Hey, has anyone seen my "Johnny go to hell" hat.


I still to this day have no idea what that means.




Also, the "I had a team before there were any to choose from west of the Mississippi" hat.

 This one has been explained to me more then a 1,000 times and I am sure I will hear it 1,000 more.  Yes dad, Yogi Berra was the greatest player of all time.



 Notice: 
A few readers are unsure of the language rules of order.  So here they are.

When I was little I remember the first time I over heard someone say "Don't swear like a sailor."  I thought geez lady if you thought that was bad you should hear someone swear like a U.S. Marine.  I had more one liners in my arsenal by the age of 10 then the girl next to me had Barbie dolls.  Of course, I dare not repeat them until I was 18.  Then dad promptly asks, "Where'd you hear that?".  Really?

Some who wander by the blog might be shocked that you can pray and swear in the same paragraph or sentence for that matter.  I don't know much but I'm pretty sure they never lived on a base.  So the rule of this blog is survival.   Those of you that have seen a dragon or two can teach readers something about how we survive.  We laugh, we cry, we believe in each other and we call it like we see it.  Those are our rules, in no particular order.  Oh and my mom will act shocked for about 2 seconds, that's her job.

I will leave you with something The Yogi once said, 
" When you come to a fork in the road....Take it "
Thanks Mr. Berra, we will my friend, we will.


14 comments:

  1. 'Cowboy Johnny Berra' looks great in them hats. I like the spelling of "Kimo" much better, too. 'Planktons' over 400,000!!! Wow!!! Awesome, Uncle Ed. GOD is watching over you day by day!
    Prayers continue on!!!
    Stay the course!!!
    Love you all~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree you look great in them hats Ed, each one lends you a certain je ne sais quoi, but you look most fetching in your "Johnny go to hell" hat, what charm and nonchalance! You could also try that cool item from Kyrgyzstan sometime if it's available in Santa Cruz.
    Good luck with the BIG ONE, we are praying for you.
    Our love to you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news and a fashion show as well! (Love the cowboy hat). We'll be channeling our thoughts and prayers to the BIG SHOT and more progress.

    We're thinking of you every day, Ed.

    Love to all,
    Chris, Sue and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana,
    I remember when Cole would visit on leave when he was in FAST company. My Dad would marvel that Cole was able to use *fuck* as every part of speech of the English language -- and in the same sentence. Marines can make swearing sound like poetry, and combined with the uniforms and shaved heads, they put stars in the eyes of all the girls in the room:) So while I love your dad's vaious headgear, tell him to let his head go nakes, put on his warface and swear like the Marine that he is...the ladies LOVE it!

    Love to you and yours...Jen (McCune) McCulloch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cowboy hat Ed!! Let us know if you need any more ice cream...would be happy to drop some off at the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed, your cowboy hat becomes you, you need a pair of shit kickers to go with that hat!!! Love the Johnny go to hell as well.....You look good, I can see the infamous twinkle in your eye......miss you...cheering you on buddy....big hugs Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who needs hair when you're that handsome:)
    Love the blog, very entertaining and informative.
    The holding pattern is promising so we will keep the prayers up. Keeping the faith!
    Love you - the Dudikoffs

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's The NOTaLone Ranger! and his friend, KimoSabe! Take that silver bullet, cowboy. There are better days ahead. Happy Trails to you, until we meet again. xoxbon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I betcha "the big shot" is called Neulasta. It's definately big in $$$$$. We let one hang around in the refrigerator once and its date expired. The company could have taken two or three thousand dollars out of our paychecks but didn't, thank goodness. "The big shot" isn't what kicks a patient's butt. It's a good guy in a white cowboy hat. The three chemo agents that are being given (one is bright red, right?) are the culprits. They are what's killing fast growing cancer cells. Unfortunately some noncancerous cells die too. Hair cells are the ones people think of first. The gastrointestinal tract is big on fast growing cells which is why mouth sores, nausea, or diarrhea can possibly occur. White blood cells and platelets also suffer tremendously from chemo which is why the lab tests are done religiously after a chemo cycle. The good news about having the Neulasta shot is that it means there won't be any more chemo for at least the next two weeks while the body rebounds. Hope you can enjoy all that Santa Cruz beauty and all the family and friends that surround you. Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that the glowing pharmaceutical commercial for Neulasta is over, Ed, I remembered patients who had some pretty uncomfortable bone pain from it. Try to remember it's still a good guy in a white cowboy hat. Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Uncle Ed! I way dig the hats. My Man, Rod is in a Country Band, so he digs the Cowboy hat. I ended up with quite the collection myself of golf and newsboy hats. I still wear them from time to time. I challenge you to wear a Fez out with Aunt Elmira to dinner. I want pics for proof! Keep up the fight...duh!!!
    Love, Madalena

    ReplyDelete
  12. I changed my mind...... a Boler Hat to dinner, with an over coat and umbrella!!!!
    Aye Zazooshe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the Johnny go to hell hat is from Godfather 2 - Don Corleone's character but when he was young as Robert Deniro. Tell your dad im sending him hugs. And everybody else I love them. Ben looks adorable in the new pics you just put up. Big kisses to you!!!!!!!!!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  14. Completely digging the "Johnny go to hell" hat, you look dang spiffy! Plus, now that someone has labeled it as something other than "the BIG shot", you really can kick butt and take names. We are keeping up with your progress and thinking good thoughts. Oh, and we bought good coffee and a bean grinder, so hurry the hell up and come back...I need a drinking buddy - for coffee, that is :)
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete