A warriors Battle

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

AAR Chemo 3 by Ed

Folks

I am still exceeding expectations when it comes to the anticipated side effects of chemo therapy. This is a good thing. That said, this stuff really tires you out, and if my sentences are not complete, I will blame a phenomena called "chemo brain".

I was able to spend some time at the cabin last weekend. I had some time to spend with my family. It was centered around a box of T-shirts that said "fishing with hubba". I appreciate my children's concern (unsaid) that I may not be able to have this time in the future. Sooooo, lets make memories for my grandchildren and me while I am able. There is a little lake nearby, soooo fishing we went.

What did I learn?

I spent most of my life sharing with Marines small techniques that might save their lives or make them more effective. It was usually something that I had learned from those WW II or Korean Veterans that populated the Corps when I enlisted in the Marine Corps. This sharing was always important because we never knew if they were going to be in combat the next day.

Teaching my grandchildren to fish is a survival skill. As a little guy in Oregon, my cousins Nick and Wink, taught me how to fish. Nick and Wink taught me how to catch grasshoppers for bait on our way to Monger Creek. Well sure enough, on our way to the lake with the grand kids, I noticed that there were grasshoppers in the tall grass. So we had a class on how to catch grasshoppers and how to put them on your hook. In short order Nate (Carabine to me), was catching hoppers like a pro. Ben, 2 1/2 yrs, demonstrated how to bait a hook. Savannah was swing on the end of a rope over the lake. They were demonstrating the kind of self reliance that we wanted our Marines to have in unfamiliar environments.

I was just as proud of them as my Marines. I still have some techniques to teach them, and it is important that I survive in order to do it. So Hubba is going to stick around.

Semper Fi

Ed

16 comments:

  1. Hi Ed! So good to have an update! :-) Glad you are feeling well enough to go fishing! Did you drop your cell phone in the river again? Sending hugs and good thoughts to you! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Love, E :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes he is.

    P.S. The shirts are for wear'in with Hubba. I bought enough sizes to last for a good 20 more years. I also bought them in bright green because I know you will be around for more trips and most likely loose at least one grandchild every time. If I thought they were a one time wear I would of bought black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed,

    So glad to hear you're doing well. We really miss you guys. And what a great story about your grand kids. You've always been a great teacher, not to mention fisherman. Michael is still talking about the barracuda you caught in the Caribbean.

    Love to all,
    Chris, Sue and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am remembering fondly the first fish I ever saw you catch... October, 1974 on Solomon's Island, Maryland... with a fishing pole at least seven feet tall! And there you were, teaching 6 kids under six years old how to fish. I think I have a photo:) Glad you're still at it! Lots more fish out there waiting for you and your grandkids. Keep on healing! And smiling! Love, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you know that you are constantly in our prayers. I have been visiting the update website and am hopeful by the news each time. We are thinking of you and Mike would love to call to speak if and only when you are available. Sinc-ing up Korea to CA can be a challenge.

    We are in Korea now and so far the tour has been very positive. The people are so friendly and welcoming. Our Marine Corps family here is very close!

    We are visiting our children in Hawaii next week. Each time we are there we think of "our tour" there with you guys and 3/3. What a special time that was. We remember your tiny house on the coast and then your bigger one in Kailua.

    In reference to your fishing story, Mike took up the same job of taking our 3 year old grandson, Mikey, out 'spearfishing' in the waters at K-Bay last summer...yes, life has to go on for our grand kids!!!

    A big Aloha to you all,

    Mary and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Uncle Ed! This last blog of yours did my heart good to read, especially your going fishing with the grandkids. I know it's good medicine for you deep within your soul, too. Some of my most treasured memories are when I went fishing with my Dad, all of us as kids or when Mike and I use to go.
    Dad came and picked me up one morning, in the Fall, we lived in Fortuna at the time, 5am, knock on the door. Dad say's, Lets go fishing!! Ok...(half awake lol) after we go out for breakfast, we end up in his tiny green wooden boat under Fernbridge. Lots of fishermen already there, fog floating on the water...so quiet, you could hear the water rippling...then I snag one!! OMGosh,,,, my Dad see's it, it's a huge steelhead!! So he starts yelling in Portuguese "Reel it in, reel it in!!! It was waaay took big for my line weight. Well........it broke the line... I lost it.
    But, I got more of a kick seeing Dad's reaction than losing that big fish. It's a memory that I will hold dear, forever!
    I just want you to know, You have lots more to teach those wonderful grandkids of yours. The many prayers, Gods mercy and faithfulness will get you through all the treatments and tests. You WILL get better. Stay the course!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sir,

    I just got back from doing an Optics Test in CLNC followed by a Sniper Rifle Test in Hawthorne. I have been gone for 6 weeks and wrapped up with trying to take care of our Marines during that time. I am finally back in the office and not standing on the firing line, so I was able to jump on this blog. I am overjoyed to hear about your steady progress. I had to backtrack through the blog to catch back up. Victoria and I have you and your family in our prayers. Semper Fi, Al "the Don" Matthews

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy you're out there fishing, you're always in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear your fishing and teaching and storytelling!!!! You ate a tough bird Colonel...Big hugs, constant prayers, miss u...Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahahah I meant You are a tough bird!!! Hahahahahahah love kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a finely focused man Ed, I have always admired you and always will. My best to you and Mary.
    Guy Coons

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so SO glad to hear that things are still on the up and up! You are always in our thoughts.

    Your Trescony Neighbs Sara & Cory

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ed, this is good news. We're glad you're doing better than the doctors expected (but not surprised!). It was great to hear that you'd been able to go fishing with the grandkids, and it sounds as though they had a great time ... learned a lot too, I bet, and not just about fishing.

    Chong-Suk and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of yiuneD, miss you sending really really big hugs!!!! Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of you ED!!! Miss u sending reallly big hugs if I could spell damn it! Hhahah Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ready for another update! (hint hint) Hope you are continuing the good progress! :-) E

    ReplyDelete