A warriors Battle

Sunday, February 23, 2014

AAR February 2014

It has been a long time for this update, but it has been a busy six months.  I will call it the good, the bad, and the ugly.  The one thing that Mary and I have learned is that a plan may be good for 72 hrs if your lucky,

The good.  My cancer is in total remission.  We know it likes to come back in a hurry, but we have been in remission for several months.  The doctors are starting to reduce my immune suppression in hopes that my grafted Tcells can handle the infections.

The bad is that the side effects of the graft and the infections still keep coming.
My walking has been reduced to the old man shuffle with a cane if I am smart.  I have a real chance of tipping over.  My legs and feet totally numb.
I have been readmitted to the hospital several times for pneumonia , but I recently warded off readmission for the flu as I was able to fight that off with take home antibiotics.
Finally, I got GVHD in the mouth and throat.  This caused the removal of all my teeth at the Stanford surgical unit.  It has taken a while to get me squared away with some dentures so now I am learning to eat, drink, and talk (without a whistle).

So what could be Ugly?  Well there were three of us that started this procedure about the same time, Bill, Kevin, and me.  We are all about the same age which was pushing the acceptability for a transplant.  All started in good shape for the fight.  We all have had prolonged effects, and numerous stays in the hospital.  I would classify all three of us as A types, Businessman, Lawyer and Marine, and capable of the roller coaster ride.  Well Bill died the other day of pneumonia.  Kevin is still in the fight, but is having some heavy rolls.  I have nothing to bitch about other than I still cannot get in the grass to take a pitch.  It is kind of like being a fire team leader that gets across the beach and starts counting noses.

All of the above said, the best was that the 11th Marines invited me to their St Barbra's Day celebration.  Mary said she would drag me down there if I remained healthy.  So, I stayed well and off we went.  I really have to thank those Marines.  They made my day.   There were a bunch of us who had served together.  The Captains were now Colonels and Regimental Commanders, Lts were Bn Commanders, Privates were now the senior enlisted of the Corps.  They had their heads on straight and priorities in the right place.  Told old war stories and answered those WHY questions they did not ask a long time ago.  It is this brotherhood that can sustain you when you start counting noses.

Semper Fi
Ed

10 comments:

  1. We were up at the cabin this weekend and were hoping our favorite neighbors would be there too. We've got a couple of bottles of wine to share.
    Hope to see you up there soon.
    David and Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Dad! We are all so proud of you. An old dog doing tricks is not as awesome as an old dog teaching his old tricks to new dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ed,
    Very glad you finally came back up on the net---I've checked this site numerous times, and had feared the worst when I didn't see anything. As bad as you try to make it sound (good, bad, ugly) the fact is it sounds like inch by inch, you've gotten better--or should I say, haven't gotten worse. Oh yeah, I know the creapin' with the cane--and no teeth--but lets face it Ed, most people our age are in that category regardless!! (:>) Doesn't surprise me about 11th Marines inviting you down. I was just commenting to a Marine the other day that 11th Marines was the best fighting outfit I served in. Some things never change. I'm completely retired now. Please send me an email and I'll send you some recent pics of Cathy and I.

    Semper Fi my friend
    Bruce Judge
    540-286-1507
    bjudge0802@aol.com---thats an easy one for you to remember!
    6 Affirmed Dr
    Stafford Va 22556

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ed, sounds like you still have it mostly in one bag..I sometimes say my lean and mean has turned into lumpy and mellow. The cane has ever so many uses but it certainly gets in the way during tai chi...It is really good to hear you and Mary are doing well. We have been wondering about you.
    I was very reluctant to talk to the Man but did several times o.n your behalf. Reluctant because it had been a long time between conversations. Hope it helped.
    We think about youse guys. We sure enjoy the pics of your family and especially Mary's business. Semper Fi my friend.
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Onward and upward Colonel, take two salt pills and drive on like we did 45 years ago. Glad to see you fighting this fire fight and winning. Still have that single malt and some fine cigars for you. You are in my good thoughts all the time. Not time for this Hardass Marine to check out for a long time. Hope to talk in person soon.

    Semper Fi,
    DV "Gunny' Murawsky

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can win this one Ed. Let me know when you are ready for that boat ride in the San Juan Islands, I'll be ready.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The CHIEF came to the east coast to visit the grand-kids in Quantico and part of the MARFOREUR team got him to come to dinner -0 thanks to Matt for driving. Kris Stillings, Greg Breazile, Nick Spignesi, Laura Falkenbach, Leah Watson, and Erik Doyle truly enjoyed seeing our mentor and leader. Not to disagree too strongly with the Feb report - but the good appears to be winning over the bad and the ugly. KEEP CHARGING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Earlier today I was looking for info on the Marines and thought of my old friend and colleague Ed Lesnowicz. Ed and I worked together at the XVIII Airborne Corps Fire Support Element, Fort Bragg, N.C. from June 1989-June 1990. We lost touch long ago but through the magic of google I found this blog. Ed was and remains one of the finest people I have had the pleasure to know. Ed wrote about mentors and I have to say he was mine during my year at the FSE. I learned more from Ed than anyone else I'd met to that point in my Army career. But I was more proud to call him my friend. I was surprised and saddened to learn of Ed's cancer but not surprised to learn that he fought it tooth and nail, refusing to yield or be bowed. I hope that you are well and enjoying your retirement with your family. Best to you always Brother, take care, Bob McElroy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Colonel, Ed, it has been a very long time since Team Secure days. I was working on a book chapter on Somalia and just wanted to include your name for accuracy, searched internet and here we are.. I understand that you have succesfully been through yet another battle. I wish you well and best of happiness. I sometimes miss my days--and friends--in Mogadishu, not all of them of course. Bgd. Gen. Haldun Solmazturk (ret).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ed,
    Glad to get a report on you, and doubly glad that the report is . . . you're still kicking. Think of you often, mostly puzzling over how a homely, craggly looking guy like you got a gal like Mary.Saw the note above from Erik Doyle, and it was good to see some of those MARFOREUR names from the past.
    It is pretty scary sometimes when I realize that I'm now 3 years older than YOU WERE when I got to MARFOREUR, and you were ancient then.
    Best to you and the family.
    Buzz
    (Lee Busby, "leebusby@aol.com", 205.758-5554

    ReplyDelete