A warriors Battle

Monday, December 5, 2011

Situation Report #16

WE'RE BACCCCKKKKK!

Did ya miss us?  We missed you.  We have started hearing from people, "No news is good news...right?"  Then, when Dave the owner of Mission Hill Creamery stopped by today with three delicious pints of his organic ice cream, to check in, I thought I'd better get people caught up.  Dad does love the ice cream and the thought that if we lay low he might bring more just to check in, did cross our minds.  Alas, that would not be becoming. SO...
SORRRRRY!  WE ARE INDEED STILL HERE.

There is so much going on in the coming months, you will tire of us.   Here is a "prelim" to the show starting at the end of this week.  Yes, this is a drama.  Who are we kidding, it might end up a dramedy.  This family can't help it.  

Dad finished his 6th and final round of KIMO!  It was a punch, but no where near a knock out.  If there is one thing that I have personally gained from this situation.  It's this. 

I used to think CHEMOTHERAPY just looked like this:
He who should not be named
  Come on admit it.  So many of you think the same thing.  Well, I've got news for you.  It can also look like this:
 

Fishin' with Hubba
 


Bench time
Hubba knows bait

Learning to catch grasshoppers


The COMPLETE family photo

Dress up!
Captain of the fryer.
The proud son and General Mom still barking orders.


A Cabin Thanksgiving with neighbors

"I'll sing you a true song of Billy the Kid..."




Moms birthday with all the grand kids

Chocolate and Love the world is whole.
I knew my dad was strong.  Hell, let's get real, he acts like a wolverine that can't find anything but plants and berries to eat; which has served him well these last few months.  The only thing I can think about is dad on the kimo drip for hours at the doctors, eating out of a giant sack.  Candy bars, chips, a burrito, olives, some crudites with dip and all washed down with a pot of coffee and a couple Cokes.  Meanwhile, the patients around him just staring perplexed.

DAD:  "CHIP?"
FELLOW PATIENT:  "Umm, no thanks." 
DAD:  "OLIVE? SNICKERS?"
FELLOW PATIENT:  **blank stare** 

Of course, I walk away for a few hours and come back to dad holding court.  His eyes are twinkling blue.  The air in the room seems lighter than when we walked in hours earlier.  He is smiling from ear to ear and so are others in the room.  They've been Eddied.  Dad don't use up your energy on people you will probably never see again I thought.  How selfish of me, he needs them.  A social animal, nothing like the aforementioned wolverine.  Perhaps I should change my comparative animal?  Nah, a wolverine. Just one that ate a caribou that afternoon.  

Last week dad took every test and poke possible.  This Wednesday they go over the results up at Stanford.  Is dad still a candidate for a STEM CELL TRANSPLANT?  If yes, then he will be hospitalized on Friday morning to get prepped and then zapped with a largest dose of  kimo yet.  Released in time for his 65th birthday on Monday, December 12th.  Then we start asking St. Nick for stem cell production to increase.  

Nerves are high around here.  Does this feel like Voldemort all over again?  That's right.  I just dared say his name.  
         

BRING IT ON!!!


26 comments:

  1. Now that's what I'm talking about...a Marine in command, in control and rockin' his kimo....and Sir, ya look pretty darn cute playing dress up with the grand kids:). Ooh rah!!!!!

    Jen McCulloch and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad that I missed you today Ed. Our thoughts are with you. I believe in the healing powers of positive thinking and of ice cream and will gladly deliver either or both whenever you want. I know ice cream will be off our list for a while, but as soon as you can have it again, we'll bring more! And happy b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kickin' kimo bootie by the Colonel...fishing all the while! Let's go stem cells!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such love should be the healer for all people...eloquent, warrior, steadfast love. Thoughts are with you Ed, and your kimo crew! Love, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Analicia, you've got a real talent conveying your story. And it's a great story to tell.

    We love your family and we are feeling every curve of this ride.

    So inspiring to see the strength of your love and the strength of your dad's spirit build upon each other.

    Keep the good fight going. The pics are great! Those twinkling blue eyes are full of life:) We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those were some fortunate patients to get to spend "chemo" time with Ed! What a great way to have your spirits lifted during what must feel like hell. Hoping you guys get good news tomorrow. Will keep you all in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chong-Suk and Steve RobinsonDecember 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM

    Ed, you're the best! Can't get over thinking about those other folks at the doctor's office ... they must have come in feeling sick and gone home feeling better than they had in years. Don't know how you do it, but it's great!

    We hope Wednesday goes well at Stanford,

    Chong-Suk and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give 'em hell Ed! You guys are so inspiring... the humor and good naturedness you display in the face of this crap makes me laugh even while I'm tearing up. I feel very fortunate to know your family. You keep it real and help us all put things in perspective. Suck it cancer, just suck it. Ok, on to stem cell prayers, seems like plankton is all good. Huuahhh (or however you spell it!) and happy almost birthday Wolverine! (PS: great pics!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. :-) Great blog! Great update! Great family! Uncle Ed, you give new meaning to being positive and a survivor of all that you are going through. I am so proud of you.....all of you! Love all the pictures. So grateful you have the cabin, especially during this time. There's nothing like a good dose of Nature to heal and refresh the Body, Mind and Spirit. Lots and lots of prayers continuing for you, everyday! We love you!!!!!

    Analicia: Yes! You all have been missed on this blog. Each time I'm at the computer and looking for a new update here, I feel like the old commercial of the Mervyn's lady, with nose and hands against the store window, saying, "OPEN, OPEN, OPEN!!!!" :-) (Hope you and baby are doing great, Sweet Mama.)Love you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I am sorry for being hard to catch. Baby is due in just a few weeks. The same day dad is scheduled to have his stem cells harvested. Strange and busy time for all of us. Love you guys. Analicia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the update! I was going with your previous comment of "no news is good news", but it is very nice to hear how great Ed is doing! I'm so glad you are all having fun together! I LOVE the dress up pix! :-) Big hugs to all! :-) E

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the update! I think about you guys everyday! I'm glad to see you had a nice Thanksgiving! I'm praying for good results today!!!! I know with Uncle Eddy and Troops have " the situation" under control!!! Love u all miss u all! Love Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to have an update on Uncle Ed! You are going through so much that I can't even bear to understand. It makes what I'm going through look like a walk in the park. We are hoping and praying that everything will go well with you in the weeks ahead. Your daughter does a great job sharing her words & photos for all of us to know how it's all going but most importantly seeing you enjoy your family! You have a wonderful family to be proud of, as I'm sure you are. Love is being sent your way and would love to see you & the family someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the update on Eddie. Just keep those positive thoughts and lots of prayers. Think of your family often Mary and thankful for Maggie keeping me informed. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe in miracles. They happen every day. Thank you, Analicia. You make us all proud.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great update. Glad to see everyone doing well.

    Love to all,
    Chris, Sue and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, my post disappeared..arrgghhh! Great writing Heather!!! I'll want a copy in hardback or transferred to my Kindle when completed. Uncle Ed, yer lookin pretty groovy in so many ways. Love the Cowboy hat and want to see the others. Had I been your Kimo neighbor, I would have said YES to the chips. No doubt! Love you and I may not be on here much, but you are in my thoughts and prayers often. Keep on fightin'. Love, Madalena

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday Ed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Happy Young 65th Birthday, today, Uncle Ed!"
    Sending you BIG HUGS from all of us here in Humboldt. WE LOVE YOU! Next year, you will be blessed to celebrate your birthday on 12-12-12!
    SPECIAL! JUST LIKE YOU!
    (I know someone here in Rio Dell who is 104. See, I told you, you ARE young! ;-)
    God Bless~

    ReplyDelete
  20. "HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY" UNCLE ED! Yer just a youngin.

    Love, Rod and Madalena

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's getting closer to Christmas... things getting busier and busier! But.... have to stop by the Blog to let you know, Uncle Ed, Auntie and family, you're on my heart and in my everyday and night prayers. Thinking about Analicia, Dex, Ben and this wonderful miracle that will take place any time now! This IS the season of Miracle's.
    Peace~Joy~Love to you all.
    ~The Todd's~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe there's a brand new baby for Hubba!
    Mele Kalikimaka!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope that the Col. and his family had a great Christmas. Semper Fi and Keep fighting sir.

    Parrish Kinney, former Sgt. USMC

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mary and Ed:

    I have just read all the blogs and I so enjoyed the pictures of fishing, birthdays and Thanksgiving. It sounds like you have so much to be thankful for. So, did Analicia have her baby? We will be thinking of you on Jan. 11.

    Barbara and Tom Turner

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here is to a NEW YEAR!!! Love your Ed, thinking of you....Big Hugs...Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pat & Angie ConnallyJanuary 2, 2012 at 9:18 PM

    Herr Colonel,
    Happy New Year Comrade Marine! We continue to pray for healing, strength, and peace for you and yours Sir. Angie and I are up in Bend, Oregon right now to see one of our 6, soon to be 7, grandchildren so we can appreciate the healing that comes from those miracles each one. It is clear from your great pictures that your A-Team of grands and family have got you covered with the best medicine that there is....Love for their Hubba. God Bless you and lift you up. Hope to see you in 2012 on my travels. Semper Fi, Pat & Angie Connally

    ReplyDelete